Pages

Monday, November 18, 2013

People will act offended and appalled

It is okay to want your own happiness. It’s okay to care about yourself the most. You are not obligated to sit there and smile and swallow every bit of shit everyone heaps on you. You are more than furniture, you’re more than window dressing, you’re not their shiny toy. You’re human, and you have the right to say “That was shitty of you”. You have a right to protest your own mistreatment and set boundaries for respectful interactions. The rest of the world doesn’t realize you have this right, and they will act offended and appalled when you exercise it, but it is yours.

I was specifically looking for this quote today deep on my tumblr. To post on fb obviously. Because it's so relevant and I agree with it a ton. I saw it long ago, but for some reason I have this quote library in my brain of the ones that are important and really speak to me and how I feel. So I remembered this one and I'm so happy I found it. Too bad someone who acted hella offended recently isn't even my facebook friend to see it. That's my fault though, so I'm not complaining. 
I've been dealing with situations this way for a long time now though, not only in recently but dealing with number of other people in the last several months and I feel like everyone should be exercising this right. Who the hell is biting their tongue, for what? My happiness, trumps all. But I also feel like if I say more people need to make this happen more often, in turn others also need to grow thicker skin and understand what's being said to them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment