Pages

Thursday, August 29, 2013

There's a name for my need to write things down.

http://thoughtcatalog.com/2013/how-and-why-to-keep-a-commonplace-book/

Above is a link to an article from one of my absolute favourite sites, ever invented. Anyway, it's about creating a common place book. Which before reading, I had no idea what it was to be honest, but turns out I'm already doing it.

On tumblr, and this is probably one of the only reasons I will never let go of tumblr. Several months ago I started reblogging a ton of quotes that stuck out to me. They were so relevant and articulated so well what I was definitely not able to explain myself. Then in my mind I realized, the quotes that I love are just getting pushed lower and lower on my tumblr and they disappear and losing them worried and saddened. So I started to write down all of the ones that meant the most to me. Then I can look back on for self evaluation and all that fun stuff later one.

This is in a nutshell pretty much what a common place book is. But it is not always quotations, its anything you pretty much read, articles, lines or excerpts from books, quotes, things that can be used for meditation, writing, and help in any way shape or form in the future.

The awesome part about it is that "some of the greatest men and women in history have kept these books" then it goes into all that historical information which you can read over there. If we want to look at it in the awesome way that I am. I'm basically, on the verge of becoming one of the greatest women, in history.

The article says at first not to worry about organization, which is a good thing because right now mine are pages and pages broken up in my journal. But now that I know this is a real thing, I feel like I need to get my shit together and organize all of it.

It also gives plenty and plenty of tips on what you should do to maintain your own in the article above. One of the most important things, I think is to write it down. Don't highlight it, bookmark it, fold the corner  or make a word doc and then let it sit there. I knew this on my own and you should figure it out too.

WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN. If you don't then it obviously wasn't that important now was it.

No comments:

Post a Comment